LISTEN TO THE EPISODE
“This is the most barn burning episode of this podcast to date.” – Michael
In this episode, Michael & Jonathan are joined by attorney & economist, Bob Hockett. They discuss:
- the intrinsic flaws in the current monetary systems
- the opportunity for digital transformation at the U.S. Federal Reserve (he worked there)
- moving banking to a 100% reserve, non-debt creating service institution
- moving economic intervention from a carpet bombing to a laser sniper approach
ABOUT BOB HOCKETT
Hockett is the Edward Cornell Endowed Professor of Law at Cornell Law School in Ithaca, New York; Annual Visiting Professor of Law at the Sorbonne Faculty of Law in Paris, France; and Senior Counsel with Westwood Capital Group in New York City.
His principal interests lie in the fields of organizational, financial, and monetary law and economics in both their positive and normative, as well as their national and transnational, dimensions.
His guiding concern in these fields is with the legal and institutional prerequisites to a just, prosperous, and sustainable economic order.
A Fellow of the Century Foundation and regular commissioned author for the New America Foundation, Hockett also does regular consulting work for the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, the International Monetary Fund, Americans for Financial Reform, the ‘Occupy Money’ Cooperative, and a number of federal and state legislators, regulators, and local governments.
Prior to doing his doctoral work and entering academe, he worked for the International Monetary Fund and clerked for the Honorable Deanell Reece Tacha, Chief Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
Cornell Faculty Profile: http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/faculty/bio_robert_hockett.cfm
Century Foundation Profile: http://tcf.org/experts/detail/robert-c.-hockett
- Digital Greenbacks: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3599419
- Spread the Fed: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3597724
- A Democratic Digital Dollar (Harvard Business Law Review): https://www.hblr.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/18/2020/02/The-Democratic-Digital-Dollar_HBLR_FINAL.pdf
- Money’s Past is Fintech’s Future (Stanford Journal of Blockchain Law & Policy): https://stanford-jblp.pubpub.org/pub/wildcat-crypto-fintech-future/release/1
- Digital Dollars for All (Wall Street Journal): https://www.wsj.com/articles/digital-dollars-for-all-11586215100
- America’s Digital Sputnik Moment (The Hill): https://thehill.com/opinion/technology/497427-americas-digital-sputnik-moment
- A Digital Dollar: Why, How, and Why Now? (VentureBeat): https://venturebeat.com/2020/04/18/a-digital-dollar-why-how-and-why-now/